You’ve just received notification from Clickbank that you’ve made a sale and you now have a new paying customer. How you treat your current clients will ultimately determine the long term success of your online home based business. First of all send a welcome email to your new customer with your customer service number included and remind them you’re always available to answer any questions or to help resolve any issues they may be having. After a week or so call your client and ask how their new product is working for them and ask if there’s anything you can do to help.
After an acceptable period of time, and once you have determined you have a happy customer on your hands, begin to consider what back end products you’re going to sell them and how you’re going to approach the sale. Back-end products are merchandise related to what your client has already purchased.
Every home business online should be attempting to sell back-end merchandise to their existing customers because it’s much easier to convince existing clients to buy than trying to persuade potential customers to purchase. Prospective clients don’t yet know or trust you or your home business and are therefore more likely not to purchase than people who have built a relationship with you and your enterprise.
How you approach your existing customers is very important because you don’t want them to think you’re going to inundate them with offers now that they’re paid clients. Here are seven tactics or approaches you can use to sell your back-end merchandise.
1. When you follow up with your customer via email to see how their original purchase is working for them attach an advertisement for your back-end product. You can use the approach that because they are current customers they will be given a 15% discount over new clients.
2. On special occasions and holidays it’s always a good idea to send your clients a greeting card. You can include a flyer outlining your opportunity along with an appropriate discount and be sure to disclose the benefits of using this product in conjunction with their previous purchase.
3. If your customer’s initial purchase was a digital product include your advertisement in the member’s area where the download takes place. However if their merchandise is physical in nature and must be delivered to their door place a flyer, advertising your back-end product, in the box.
4. When your clients call customer service play a taped message advertising your back-end merchandise while they’re on hold. Once again mention the discount for existing customers and be sure to outline the benefits of using this product.
5. When you send your initial welcoming email immediately after their purchase include a check box and ask if they would like to receive email notices regarding future product releases and special sales and discount opportunities. People love to think they’re getting a bargain or saving money and nine times out of ten they will jump at the opportunity.
6. Establish a customer appreciation day and send all of your existing clients a free gift as your way of thanking them for being such loyal patrons. Include your advertisement for your back-end product with your reward.
7. Create a members only area on your home business website and give free memberships to new customers. Be sure to make your promotional material for your back-end merchandise available to all members in their special area.
Promoting and selling your back-end products to your existing customers is a great way to create additional profit for your home based business, but you must be careful to show your appreciation to your current patrons throughout the process. You must be vigilant not to destroy the trusting relationships you have taken the time to nurture with your clients.